ST. JOSEPH on Missouri River. COC&PP Express Mail #1. Patee House 1858, John Patee, prop. was Pony Express Headquarters in 1860. Pony Express Stables, built 1859 by Ben Holaday still stands at 914 Penn. Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad completed to St. Joseph in 1859. Colton: 1860 and 1886.
ELWOOD on Missouri River. The ferry landing known as Lewiston. P.O. 1857, William Saeger, p.m. Great Western Hotel 1857, S. Webster, prop.--75 rooms; torn down in 1860s when river undermined foundation. Abraham Lincoln was a guest in 1859. Road from Elwood to Wathena cleared in 1854 and macadamized in 1866.
BELMONT/WHITEHEAD on Missouri River, NE1/4 S21 T2S R22E. Whitehead P.O. 1855, James R. Whitehead, p.m. Colton's 1886 map. Bird's Plat Book of Doniphan County, 1883. Colton's 1860 map (Whitehead)
WATHENA/WATHENA LANDING on Missouri River. The river cut a new channel in 1952 during a flood, which was stabilized by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. Wathena is on Peters Creek. Bryan P.O. 1855, Milton Bryan, p.m. Wathena P.O. 1856, Thompson Kemper, p.m. Wathena Landing SE corner S22 T3S R22E (?), about 1 m. northeast of Wathena. St. Joseph and Pottawatomie Road 1849 crossed Peters Creek at Wathena via Cottonwood Springs and Cold Springs to Uniontown on Kansas River. Colton: 1860 and 1886.
JOHNSON'S RANCH at crossing of Peters Creek, SE1/4 S15 T3S R21E on Wathena and Troy Road. Abraham Johnson owner in 1868. Pony Express (?)
COTTONWOOD SPRINGS at head of Walnut Creek, trib. of Missouri River. NE1/4 S26 T3S R21E. Chas. Stewart owner in 1855; owned by Hugh Finklea, Jr. in 1916 and known as "Old Chamberlain Place." Evansville platted 1857 by Col. D. M. Johnson. Located on Pottawatomie Road. Pony Express 1860.
TROY at head of Mosquito Creek, trib. of Missouri River. P.O. 1857, Nelson Rogers, p.m. Troy Hotel 1858, E. Main and Myrtle Street, Leonard Smith, prop. was the Pony Express Station. Road from Wathena via Johnson's Ranch rejoined Pottawatomie Road in NE corner S30 T3S R21E?
COLD SPRING on Cold Spring Branch of Wolf River at center S34 T3S R20E (?) COC&PP Express Mail #2. On Pottawatomie Road. Colton's 1860 map. Smith, Vaughn and Co. 1868 locate "J(ohn) Hargis at Cold Spring." Bird's Plat Book of Doniphan County 1883 show N. and M.S. Hargis in NW1/4 S34.
SYRACUSE at head of North Branch of Independence Creek, SW1/4 S36 T3S R19E. Syracuse Hotel 1858-62, Walter Peck, prop. Store 1860, William Vickery, prop. U.S. War Dept. Map 1867. Victory (Vickery) Cemetery USGS Bendena quad.
VALLEY HOME/LEWIS STATION on spring branch of South Fork of Wolf River (present Purcell?) Burton: 10 m. from Cold Spring (not Troy), and 10 m. to Kennekuk. COC&PP Express 1860. SW1/4 S19 T4S R19E (?)
KENNEKUK on ridge between Clear Creek and Otter Creek, center of S3 T5S R17E. COC&PP Express Mail #3. Hotel 1856, Tom Perry, prop. P.O. 1857 William Hess, p.m. Kickapoo Indian Agency 1852, Major C. B. Keith, agent. Kickapoo Presbyterian Mission 1856-69, SE1/4 S33 T4S R17E. Colton's 1860 and 1886 maps. Hockaday, COC&PP Express, Pony Express and Overland Stage Co. Kennekuk Cemetery USGS Everest quad. Military Road from Ft. Leavenworth joined mail route at Kennekuk in 1858.
POWHATTAN on spring branch of Muddy (Locknane) Creek in NW1/4 S32 T4S R15E. P.O. 1857, Russell Newell, p.m. Colton's 1860 and 1886 maps. Powhattan Cemetery USGS Wetmore quad. Colton's 1860 map shows it on the Pony Express Route. It is located 14 m. west of Kennekuk and 4 miles southeast of Granada.
WHITEHEAD on spring branch of (Big) Grasshopper Creek. SE1/4 S26 T4S R16E. On Ft. Laramie Military Road 1850. Colton's 1860 map. Both Burton and Marcy say it was 4 m. west of the crossing of Grasshopper Creek #1. White Cloud Chief says, "Capt. (James?) Whitehead, formerly of Belmont, died Sept. 1865 at Kennekuk."
KICKAPOO/GOTESCHALL PONY EXPRESS STATION on Plum Creek, SE1/4 S14 T4S R15E. Root says "H.N. Rising" was proprietor.
PLEASANT SPRING/GRANADA on Muddy (Locknane) Creek, NE1/4 S12 T4S R18E. Pleasant Spring P.O. 1856, David Locknane, p.m. Granada P.O. 1864, William Letson, p.m. Granada Hotel 1858, N. H. Rising, proprietor; David Locknane was prop. in 1860. Granada Cemetery USGS Wetmore quad. Colton's 1886 map (Granada). Nemaha County Atlas 1887. Frank Root says it was a station on both the Pony Express and Overland Stage. BLM Survey locates "D. Locknane's cornfield" at this site in 1857.
CAPIOMA on spring branch of Muddy (Locknane) Creek, center S23 T3S R14E. On Ft. Laramie Military Road 1850. P.O. 1857, David Magill, p.m. Hotel 1857, Walter Gage, prop. Capioma Cemetery USGS Woodlawn quad. Colton's 1860 and 1886 maps. Nemaha County Atlas 1887.
OAK POINT CAMPSITE on spring branch of Gregg Creek, NW1/4 S14 T3S R14E. On Ft. Laramie Military Road 1850. Jonah Girard Cisne 1860. Perhaps Gilliam Co. crossing of Gregg Creek 1844.
LOCKNAN OR BIG MUDDY STATION at crossing of Muddy (Locknane) Creek, SW1/4 S17 T3S R14E. COC&PP Express Mail #4. Identified as "Locknanes" on Colton's 1860 map. On Ft. Laramie Military Road 1850. Perhaps Hockaday Stage Station in 1858. Conjectural: may be identical to Log Chain, or perhaps Burton's name for Pleasant Spring/Granada.
LOG CHAIN at crossing of Log Chain Branch of Muddy (Locknane) Creek, SW1/4 S19 T3S R14E. Pony Express Station 1860, N. H. Rising, prop. P.O. 1864, John Hazard, p.m. Colton's 1886 map. Tradition says that the creek was named because of difficulties encountered by Col. Albert Sidney Johnson's 1857 Expedition to Utah during the Mormon War. Original cabin remains.
PACIFIC CITY at head of Log Chain Branch of Muddy (Locknane) Creek, center of S24 T3S R14E. Hotel and well 1856, Orrin Gage, prop. Atlas of Nemaha County 1887.
RICHLAND at head of spring branch of Tennessee Creek, NE1/4 S1 T3S R12E? Marcy 1859 and Burton 1860 identify it 2 miles southeast of Seneca. Burton suggests that the unidentified proprietor may have served meals to stage passengers. On 1850 Ft. Laramie Military Road.
SENECA on S. Fork Big Nemaha River. 2nd county seat of Nemaha County 1857. COC&PP Express Mail #5. P.O. 1858, John E. Smith, p.m. Pony Express Home Station 1860 at Smith Hotel, John E. Smith, prop. (torn down 1972). Colton's 1860 and 1886 maps. Emigrant campsite at Maxwell Spring east of Seneca on east side of S. Fork Nemaha River.
ASH POINT/LARAMIE CREEK at northwest corner of SE1/4 S8 T2S R11E on spring branch of Negro (Laramie?) Creek. P.O. 1858, Horace Bemus, p.m. Uncle John's Grocery 1858, John O'Laughlin, proprietor; his well remains. Root identifies the Overland Stage Station as Laramie Creek, sometimes called Frogtown. Colton's 1886 map. Nemaha County Atlas 1887 locates a cemetery in NE1/4 S8. On Ft. Laramie Military Road 1845. Platt and Slater note an emigrant campsite at this location, possibly at Kearny's 1845 crossing about 2 miles north of head of creek.
GUITTARD/VERMILLION CREEK STATION on eastern branch of West Fork of Robidoux (Vermillion) Creek. COC&PP Express Mail #6. Pony Express Station 1860; Overland Stage Div. Hdq. 1862. P.O. 1861, Xavier Guittard, p.m. Colton's 1860 and 1886 maps. USGS Marysville 30 Min. quad shows a town named Guittard Station platted in northeast corner S2 T1S R9E about 1885. Guittard Cemetery USGS Axtell NW quad. Pony Express barn torn down c1940; present house built from material in original structure.
MARYSVILLE/PALMETTO at crossing of Big Blue River. P.O. 1854, Francis J. "Frank" Marshall, p.m. Colton's 1860 map (Palmetto) and 1886 map. Pony Express Station 1860 still exists in altered condition. Hockaday 1858, COC&PP Express 1859; Overland Stage 1862. On 1845 Ft. Laramie Military Road 1845.
COTTONWOOD STATION/HOLLENBERG RANCH on Cottonwood Creek, trib. of Little Blue River (sometimes called Republican Fork of Big Blue River). Southeast corner S3 T2S R5E. COC&PP Express Mail #7. On Oregon Trail 1843 and Ft. Laramie Military Road 1845. Called "Ketcham Creek or Ten Mile Branch" by Howard Stansbury 1849. Colton's 1860 map. Original, unaltered station remains.